Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Happy 60th Birthday, Mom!

This post is long overdue, I know. Last week was a hooooribly long and insane one for me, so I never got the chance to update my blog. Which is a shame, because a milestone event happened on February 9th.

My mom's 60th Birthday.

I planned a surprise party for her, inviting her closest friends and family. And I almost pulled the whole thing off. But leave it to my highly intelligent and inquisitive daughter to make my mom start questioning my motives. Let me explain. I told Emma that we were going to take Grandma out to lunch for her birthday. After picking her up, I would "forget" my wallet, forcing us to go back to my house. This was done without flaw. (The plan, that is. I didn't actually forget my wallet.) But as we're on our way back to my house, Grandma asks where we're going to eat, and I make up some restaurant. Well, Emma goes, "No, we're eating back at the house." I kinda paused, hoping my mom wouldn't hear her or pay attention to her comment. Who'm I kidding though?!?....Grandma gives Emma her undivided attention at all times, so of course she wouldn't miss something she says! So, I say, "No Emma. Daddy and Drewbie are eating back at our house. We're going out to lunch." But she continues to challenge me, because that's not the truth. And you shouldn't lie. I should've known that I would have needed to walk through this line with her.

So, anyway, we continue along. Then, when we pull up to the house, Emma goes "Where are all the cars?" Oh crap, I think. So I say "Emma, what do you mean, the car's in the garage." Whatever, get her moving along.....just get Grandma inside the house so that all her guests can surprise her! And at that point, I knew my mom had to know that something was up. But she didn't say anything. We finally got her inside the house:




Now that she's 60, she can officially begin wearing "granny panties!"

Posing with her gag gifts! Some of the items featured are adult diapers, granny panties, Rogaine and denture cream.

And of course, Emma had to try on the adult diaper.  She thought it was halirious!

Three Generations:

And finally, a little letter to my mom.

Mom,


31 years ago, I was blessed to have you as my mom. Although you may think I am your gift from God, YOU are my ultimate gift. The sacrifices you have made for me over the years is unbelievable. The love you've given me is unconditional. And the guidance you've given me is inspiring. Most inspiring, though, is that you did it all without thought. You never thought twice about getting me a canopy bed, even if that meant that you had to sleep on a mattress on your floor. You never thought twice about denying me the chance to move across the country, even though you had lost your job.


For most of my life, it was just me and you, Mom. As a grown woman, who's now a mom herself, I can't even begin to comprehend how you did it. But you did. And you did it as a shadow, while I shined. You let me go when I needed to explore, but you have always been there when I needed to come home. You were always there for me, listening to my pre-teen angst or wiping my tears from a broken heart.


So here's to you, Mom. Here's to sixty years of wonderfully, beautifully, fabulous you!


Love,
Chris

2 comments:

shiloh said...

Happy 60th! And Chrissy that is a beautiful, loving letter:)

The McClains said...

That is so sweet. You are a great daughter, Chrissy!