Sunday, September 19, 2010

I Crushed Emma's Finger!

For the record, I debated even telling this story.  Because it's quite traumatic for me.  I still randomly cringe at the thought of what happened, so having to relive it by writing about it here was an internal debate.  But I figure I'll want to document these things, because 15 years from now we'll be able to talk about these "war stories."

So the other day, I was getting Drew out of the car.  We were in a parking lot, in a spot that was really tight.  Emma had already gotten out of the car and was waiting for us on the side of the car.  Because the spot was so tight, I was struggling to get Drew out of the car seat.  After I finally did, I shut the door quickly.  Then I heard the most gut-wrenching scream.  Emma had her finger stuck in the door.  Not the part when it shuts...no, it was in the hinged part.  Her poor pinkie finger was stuck in the door.

Of course, I had already locked the door.  So I'm now screaming, trying to unlock the door.  And of course it won't unlock.  Drew's now screaming, because he is scared.  Finally, after what seemed like 10 hours, I unlock the door and Emma's finger is removed.  I scoop her up and put her on the trunk of the car, so that I can see her poor little finger.  I thought for sure that it was going to be broke.  Or crushed.  She's still screaming, bright red in the face.  Drew's screaming at my feet. 

At this point, I think Emma realizes the severity of the situation because I was like, "Emma, look at me.  Take deep breaths out."  And she was looking at me directly in the eyes, doing exactly what I told her to do.  And surprising enough, Drew is just standing there at my feet, holding on to my legs.  Screaming, yes.  But he's not running off anywhere. 

We were meeting Andy for dinner before his football game, so he was already inside the restaurant.  After asking Emma to bend her finger, I realized that it was not broke.  She was able to bend it and I could squeeze it to feel that the bones were still intact.  (Not really sure what not-intact bones feel like, but whatever.  It made me feel better to know that she would let me touch her pinkie.)  So I call Andy and tell him to come outside ASAP.  Emma had calmed down a bit at this point.  She was now asking for a Band Aide, so I realized that she was probably okay.

After about 5 minutes or so, we all realize that--somehow--her finger was not broke.  She must have just pinched it in the door.  She said she was okay to go inside and eat some dinner, so we proceeded with our plans.  The waitress at the restaurant was so sweet.  She brought us a Band Aide and some ointment.  No, Emma did not need ointment, but it sure made her feel better!

After all was said and done, I felt horrible.  Still do.  As I started off writing this entry, it was very traumatic for me.  I keep getting flashbacks of that scene and what COULD have happened.  That night, I kept tossing and turning, just thinking about seeing my little girl's finger stuck in the door.  Oh, it just pains me.  If anything happened, I would just feel so bad.

1 comment:

shiloh said...

Oh Chrissy, I can't imagine and don't want to! You handled it so well...glad Emma and her little pinkie are okay:) And that Drew didn't run off!!