Thursday, May 31, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend 2012

Well it was disgustingly HOT this past weekend, almost breaking some records on the heat index. Glad I wasn't at the track!........while Andy and his friends brave that feat every year, I have no desire to ever sit on a hot-as-hell bleacher, in direct sunlight, watching a bunch of Indiana's finest act like buffoons, with the sound of race cars whizzing by.

No Thank you.

Instead, the kids and I headed up to my dad's river cottage for the day/night. I always forget how far "out there" it is. And by "out there" I mean OUT THERE. No paved roads, no cell service, no Starbucks, no running water, no electricity.

Juuuuuuuuuuuuust kidding.

We enjoyed ourselves, kayaking twice down the river. Drew was even able to come along on the first trip. And overall, I'd say he enjoyed it. He just didn't like the "taking off" part. Emma, Drew, and I were in a 2-person kayak (with the kids being smaller, this fit them perfectly) and my dad was in another single-man kayak. Drew wasn't a fan of seeing Papa in another boat.........he either didn't like Papa being that far away from him, or he thought that Papa was leaving him. Either way, he didn't like it when we first started taking off, seeing Papa in a different boat from us. But he quickly calmed down and was fine for the rest of the ride. (I can't say that Missy Lucille didn't ask "Are we there yet." a few times during our excursion, though.......)

So this is a little small, ya think?!?
There wasn't a life jacket small enough for Drew, so I squeezed his tiny, little-man body into this one-piece floaty from last year.

He looks like a little wrestler, doesn't he?

Such a helper she was!
After her 2nd trip down the river, she fell asleep at the paddle.

No comments: