Monday, December 6, 2010

Acceptance

I'm going to take a moment to write about something that is very near and dear to my heart.

Acceptance.

As a parent, there are two main things that I want to teach to my children, love and acceptance. As a human, those are two main qualities that unfortunately, some people aren't able to do. It is so important to me that my children grow up knowing no boundaries when it comes to race, religion, disabilities or sexual orientation. It is so important to me that they love all Asians, all Jews, all homosexuals....any and all individuals who are other wise "different" than what they are.

This entry comes as a reflection on what a good, good friend of mine is (unfortunately) experiencing. Her parents lack the one necessity that I consider to be a moral staple. She is gay. She is also a caring, wonderful, loving, outstanding person and citizen. She respects herself and others. She contributes to society. She would be there for me...and has...in a heartbeat. But unfortunately, her parents have a hard time accepting the fact that she is gay. They have a hard time accepting the fact that she has so-called "chosen" this lifestyle. Ultimately, they have a hard time accepting her.

As a parent---hell--as a human I ask: WHY? How can you not accept the fact that your beautiful, wonderful daughter simply loves the same gender? Why the HELL is that so wrong?!? Just because you cannot fit it into your religious framework, you chose to disregard her and her wonderful partner? Just because you cannot fit it into your religious framework, you are missing out in a wonderful life that she has created. Just because you cannot fit it into your religious framework, you might possibly miss out on your future grandchild.

And for what? Just because you can't "explain" it to your friends?!?

Would you do the same thing if she had a disability? Or chose to marry someone with a disability? Would you choose to leave him or her out of the annual family Christmas card because you cannot accept the fact that she chose to be with someone who has Cerebral Palsy? You may think this is an extreme exaggeration, but it all revolves around the same principle. Acceptance.

My friend did not choose to be gay. Just like someone does not choose to have a disability. But it is your acceptance of it that you must learn to practice.

I cannot fathom raising my children without acceptance and love. It would absolutely break my heart to raise a child who treats others the way that my dear friend is having to endure with her parents.

No comments: