Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Conversation with Emma

Oh, Emma.  The things she says are just too stinkin' halirious.  So I think I'm going to start a new series, called, "A Conversation with Emma," where I re-inact some of the conversations that we have.

So let me set the stage for this first one. 

While getting into my car the other day, she notices that there's a wrapped Christmas present in my front seat....

Emma: "Mommy, what's that?"
Me: "Oh, that's a Christmas present that Mommy & Daddy got for Brennan."
Emma: "Did you get it from Santa?"
Me: "No, I got it at the store."
Emma: "But you're not supposed to give presents.  Santa's the only one who can give Christmas presents."
Me. "No, actually Emma.  Other people can give presents as well.  Christmas time is the season of giving.  We all give to others, especially those in need."
*she ponders this thought for a minute*
Emma: "Oh, okay.  So where did you get it at?"
Me: "The store."
Emma: "What store?"
*I pause for a moment, because I'm not sure I want to say 'Toys R Us'....she sometimes freaks at the mention of that place...she LOVES it.*
Me: "Toys R Us"
Emma: "Where?"
Me: "Toys R Us....I just told you that."
Emma: "No, but where?"
*Okay, this is where I need to provide a little insider information.....the girl is so intuitive.  She wants to know exactly where....as in the address, the aisle, the bin number....I mean, she is so precise.  Great, yes--she's intelligent.  But I gotta admit, I tad annoying at times.*
Me: "Emma, what do you mean.  I told you....Toys R Us."
Emma: "You know what I mean." *this is her new thing....*  "Where, Mommy?"
Me: "Down an aisle."
Emma: "What aisle?"
Me: "I don't know, Emma.  Aisle 6."
*She pauses.  I look back in the rearview mirror and I can just see it.......she's picturing Toys R Us, walking down the aisles, counting them to see if she can place what exactly is down Aisle 6.  Finally, a few moments later...*
Emma: "Did you get him a barbie?"
Me: "No, Emma.  I did not get him a barbie.  Now, I'm not going to tell you what I got him.  You just need to wait until Christmas to find out."
Emma: "Fine, but that's not fair."

2 comments:

shiloh said...

I can tell this is going to be a good series:) Declan is in to knowing "where" things are too...like the library, "what the road called mama?" he asks!

The McClains said...

That's funny. Isnt it true that you wait and wait for your kids to start talking. Then, once they start, you can't get them to stop! :)