Friday, August 26, 2011

A Letter To My Friend Kelly. An Ironman Athlete.

Kelly,

I'm sure you have a mixed bag of emotions running through your head as the final hours dwindle on your Ironman race.

Am I really ready for this thing?
Did I really put the true training into this massive event I'm about to behold?
God, I just want this thing to be over with already!
Remind me again. Why did I sign up for this?!?
I'm effing awesome.
I'm about to take on one of the greatest physical challenges that a woman to do.
I. Can. Do. This.

Kel, you CAN do this. You may not - and will not be - the strongest competitor out there. No matter. YOU are the strongest competitor that I know. YOU are an amazing soul. YOU have it in the depths of your being to complete this monumental accomplishment.

We have been friends for over 7 years now. I have grown so much because of knowing you. All those days riding together, all those days on the treadmill running side-by-side, all those damn sit-ups we did together....while it might not seem so "special" at the time, we developed a close bond that I never thought possible through fitness. You made me believe that I'm a strong-ass competitor and that I'm a freaking athlete. You have this indescribable strength that can - and will - put you at the finish line.

So as you head into the final hours of your adventure, I want you to remember this. YOU inspire me. You are an incredible athlete and friend who can do this.

I can't wait for Sunday to get here.

Love ya,
Chris

No comments: