Monday, August 22, 2011

My Second Sprint Triathlon

I completed my 2nd Sprint Triathlon on Saturday.  And I'm happy to report that I shaved 6 minutes off my time!

I was 2 minutes faster on the bike, by increasing my average speed from 17.5 to 18.8mph (and I must say that the course is HILLY....so that's 18.8 on curvy hills!).  I love biking...and I love attacking hills, so I'm pretty happy with those results.  I'm even more happy knowing that I've got one of the heaviest road bikes out there.  So with an average speed of 18.8 on hills, with a heavy bike, I'll take 18.8.  This just means I've got to get a lighter bike.  I can't even imagine how fast I'll fly with a bike that weighs 2.3 lbs.....

For the running portion of the race, I ran 4 minutes faster.  With a bum foot.  While I thought I had plantar fascitis on my left foot, Dr. Kiovsky thinks it's actually carpel tunnel's syndrome in the heel.  Who knows?  All I know is that my foot was on FIRE as I made my way up the hill at the start of the run.  Buuut, you gotta feel the pain to get the results you want.  That's all I kept telling myself.  Pain's only temporary.  Pride is forever.

You'll notice that I'm not mentioning the swimming portion of the race.  That's because I absolutely SUCK at swimming.  Truth be told, I don't actually know how to swim properly.  All I've ever done - even as a kid - is swim under water.  If I took lessons as a kid, I don't remember them.  And while I loved the water (and still do), I just don't know how to swim correctly.  So I do the backstroke for basically the entire length of the race. 

So that's my 2nd Tri in a nutshell.  The kids came along this time to see Mommy race.  Which was cool.  I love exposing my kids to our active lifestyle of racing and fitness.  In fact, Emma can't wait to turn 7.  That's the youngest age that kids can enter formal races like these!

No comments: