Tuesday, November 18, 2014

My Flippin Ankle

Spraining, straining, ripping, tearing and bending.

Apparently, these are all hobbies of mine when it comes to activities I enjoying doing to my ankle.

For the past two years now, I have made it a habit to do the above activities to my ankles every few months. Well actually, I've been doing it since I was just a wee young lad. In fact, I can remember spraining my ankle when I was having a sleepover with a friend...it was so bad, that I ended up going to the ER.

I never seem to break it. I just sprain it. Over and over and over and over again.

But this last time was different.

I was carrying laundry down the stairs, when I thought I was at the bottom, but I still had two more steps to go. I rolled my ankle, hearing it *pop* as I fell down the stairs. 

The pain was crazy! I immediately broke out in a sweat; instead of passing out, I vomited from the pain. Lord, it hurt. 

Fast forward three days:




Gross, right? And these aren't photoshopped or embelished. This was my reality. 

So I reluctantly drug myself to the orthopedic surgeon, got another MRI, and learned that I had ripped my ligaments again and - get this - had bent my ankle bone. 

Say what?!?

I didn't even know you could bend bones. Who knew? But apparently, I hadn't quite broke it, just bent it, causing severe bruising in three places. 

I guess what's happened, is over the years, with the multiple sprains and strains I've had, I've stretched my tendons and ligaments out so bad, that they have lost their strength. Which is why I keep rolling my ankle so easily. 

I go back to the orthepedic surgeon the first week of December, after wearing my fabulous boot for a month, to determine if stabalization surgery is necessary.

Let's pray that it's not.

No comments: