Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

Courtesy of my job's Flex Fridays, I enjoyed a nice little 4-day weekend this past week. As per usual, I started the first 3 days off right, with either a spinning class (Friday---Sharon kicks our A$$--it's fantastic!) or a morning ride. Have I mentioned that I LOVE cycling? No? Hmmm. I guess I need to work on getting that point across a little more clearly.

On Saturday, Andy headed down to The Luc (Lucas Oil Stadium) to watch the Hoosiers get destroyed by the Ball State Cardinals. [Poor Hoosiers. You know you're bad when you're getting trampled on by BSU.] I stayed home with the kids, where a fast and furious storm ripped through our neighborhood, taking down many trees and our power. Kinda scary, now that it's all said and done. Lightening stuck the transformer in our backyard, leaving us without power for 26 hours. As much as it sucked being without power for that length of time, the scariest thing was the lightening that stuck. Like I just mentioned, multiple trees got struck, taking out parked cars in people's driveways. We're fortunate that the lightening just hit the pole, but we could have easily been unfortunate and had our house struck, or one of our trees could have fallen on my car, as it was parked in our driveway.

But we were lucky. We were just without power for 26 hours.

And we had a cookout to get ready for. We weren't going to let a silly little thing like POWER stop our fun times. So we did what we could with what we had, and a good time was had by all. For those that hung around "late night" (when you get old, late night is defined by 8:30), we even had some premier entertainment: the IPL truck. Much pomp and circumstance was had when the trucks came pulling up our street; you would have thought that Justin Timberlake himself pulled up to our front door!

We then completed our weekend with a trip to the park. It's so cool to see how much the kids have grown; it amazes me so much to see Emma whizz across the monkey bars when she couldn't do that at the beginning of summer. Or to see Drew climb up some "kiddie" ropes, when he couldn't do that at the beginning of the summer either.

Ah, how I love my long weekends. And my family!
S'more Push Pops I made for the kiddos.  If you're interested in how I made these, click here.

The Hot Dog Customization Station.
Our night's premier entertainment: watching IPL install a new transformer.
Emma attacking the monkey bars.  She's quite awesome.  And she's only FOUR.

The queen of the Rope Thingy.

You can't go any higher than this!

Attacking the rock wall.  We were having timed competitions.  Again, she's awesome.

Hanging out in the tree.  See those kids in the background?  They're envious.  My girl can rock the tree climbing event.

Drewbie Doo, climbing his own rocks.

He's so stinkin' cute. He and Daddy were having their own "conversation." Drew: "I go through the woods, okay Daddy Daddy?"  Daddy: "Okay Dubie. Watch out for the ghouls."

My two monkeys.  LOVE THEM.

1 comment:

The McClains said...

So cute! Your comments crack me up. Keep 'em coming...