Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Disney World, Day 4: Epcot

Our 4th and final day was spent at the wonderful world of Epcot.  I must tell you, when we were planning our trip, I was hesitant to go to this park.  As a kid, I just remembered thinking that Epcot was "boring" and was for "the adults." 

Turns out, I was way off.

That rarely happens, bytheway.

Epcot was extremely cool.

We started our adventure at The Living Seas. 




We boarded a "clamobile" and joined our undersea pals on a quest to find Nemo, on The Seas with Nemo & Friends.  This movie has a special place in my heart.  And while my dear husband doesn't remember it (*sigh*), this was the first movie we ever saw together.  So while I felt a little pitter-patter in my heart as I climbed aboard my clamobile, Andy just hopped right in and made some annoying sound effect.

They incorporated animated fish (Nemo) into a live aquarium. It was so cool!

These were (I believe) live jellyfish.

My two men aboard the clamobile. Love them more than life itself.

In The Seas area, they have a haaauuuuuge underwater aquarium, complete with colorful coral reef, beautiful fish, sea turtles, sharks, and a manatee rescue center!  Manatees are such sweet, sweet creatures.


That's Emma in there.

Perhaps one of the coolest things (I thought) was an interactive show with Crush, the awesomely chill sea turtle from Finding Nemo.  This was a live show that allowed audience members to actually have a conversation with Crush.  I'm not sure how they do this, but they must have someone behind the screen, "operating" Crush, who can see the audience because he as soon as the show starts, he swims up to the window and begins chatting with the audience.  Check out these videos to see what I mean.


After hanging out underwater, we headed over to The Land to take a ride in the skies on Soarin'.  Soarin' is a free-flying, hang gliding ride that is so cool!  You sit down, strap on your safely belt as you normally would aboard a flight, and enjoy the scenic view of our great nation.  As you feel the wind in your hair, you get a bird's eye view of the Golden Gate Bridge.  Then you suddenly smell the scent of grapes as you head into the wine gardens of Napa Valley.  Before you know it, your toes are about to crash into the waves in the Pacific Ocean.  Finally, you return "home" to a fantastic finale of fireworks above the Cinderella Castle at Disney World.


Then we headed over to Imagination! to see Captian EO.  Remember this video?!?.......Michael Jackson, back in the 80's, when he was so freaking cool?!?  I certainly enjoyed this, but man.  Andy LOVED it.  He can vividly remember watching this video back in the day.  Could be his age (just saying), but he loved the cool 3D effects and how the seats moved when the space ship landed.  It was neat-o, for sure.  And the kids enjoyed it to.  30 years later, and MJ's still cool.  Damn, I miss the 80's MJ.


We ended our day at Epcot with a Mission to Space.  And hole. Lee. Hell.  Let me just tell you.....this ride was unbelievable.  This is as close as blasting off to space as you can, without leaving Earth.  This ride realistically mimics what an astronaut might experience might experience during a space flight to Mars.  It says it's for teens and young adults, but after Missy Lucille's thrilling time on the Tower of Terror, we knew this would be a walk in the park for her.  (And it was.)  But as for mom and dad?  Well, let's just say that we had to have a little recovery "time out" afterwards.  I'm not sure how they do it, but they use G-forces - more than twice the force of the Earth's gravitational pull - to "blast" you off.  I literally thought I might lose my lunch.  (They had barf bags right next to your hands, if this tells you anything.) 

Emma went on it twice.


We had such an amazing time on our Disney Vacation.  Words cannot express the moments we shared together and the memories we made. 

All I know, is that I cannot WAIT to go back!

No comments: