Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Ironman Muncie 70.3

Well, I did it.

I completed my first half Ironman on July 7th in Muncie.

On a record-setting day of heat.  In fact, it was so hot that the Ironman committee made the call to shorten the course due to the extreme temperatures.  (the shortened distance was 1 mile swim, 30 mile bike, 10K - or 6 miles - run)


Which is the first time in it's 30-year history that the Ironman has had to do this.  Sure, they cancelled races due to inclement whether such as lightening and thunderstorms.  But never have they had to shorten a race due to such extreme heat.  AND, these races are held all over the world....so they know how far they can push it when it comes to heat and humidity.

At first I was disheartened.  Then I became pissed.  I didn't go through all these months of training just to complete a gloried Olympic distance triathlon.  I wanted the chance to endure the pain, the strength, the mental toughness it takes to complete 70.3 miles.

But you know what?  During the run-portion of my race, after running only one mile.  I wasn't so pissed. 

Have you ever swam a mile, biked 30 miles, then run in 105-degree heat, with a heat index of 115 and a humidity level in 90 percentile?!?

Pardon my French, but that shit's hard. 

Do I still want to complete my 70.3 miles?  Heck yeah, I do.  And will I?  No doubt about it!  But am I disappointed that - after all these months, all the blood, sweat, and tears I endured - I wasn't given the chance to do so?

Absolutely not.

Because you know what?

I became an athlete.  I put my body and mind through a test that not many can do.  I dove deep within myself.  When I wanted to give up, when I wanted to sleep in, when I wanted to spend more time at home, when I wanted to watch TV or when I wanted to go out with friends.  I didn't.

I trained. 

And I trained hard.

And I can't wait to do it all over again.


Yes, I know this is gross.
But in a sick and strange way, I've never been more proud of a blister in my life.
You know the saying "Power through the pain?"
Well I did, baby.

No comments: