Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Soda Free



For Lent, I decided to give up soda.  Which, as many of you know, was a huge sacrifice on my part.  As sad and disgusting as it was for me to say, I would drink a minimum of 44 ounces of soda a day. 

Holy cow, right?!?

Sad. Disgusting.  But true.

If I didn't go during my lunch break, I would grab a fountain beverage from the gas station on my way home.  And I would always go for the largest, 44 ounce Big Daddy cup!

So I decided that I would give up something that would truly be a sacrifice on my part.  As I was sitting and listening to Father Jim speak to the kids of SPX, explaining the meaning to these beautiful children of what exactly Lent was….it sort of hit me.

It’s pretty simple, in fact.

God gave his life for us.

Surely I can give up Cherry Coke Zero for 40 days!

So I did.

And it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  There were only 2 or 3 times where I truly craved a fountain beverage from my local Marathon station.

Fast forward to Easter Sunday:  I had my first Coke Zero.  And it wasn't nearly the joyous occasion I thought it would be.  I thought that first sip would be so refreshing that my taste buds would have started signing a glorious song right then and there.  But they didn't.  So I finished my 12 ounces, then had some water.

A few days later, I realized I hadn't had any Coke Zero since Easter.  So I popped open a can and took a big 'ole chug.

And I almost spit the whole thing out right there in my dear husband’s face.  It burned SO BAD.  Apparently, it didn't have an effect on me at Easter because of all the other CRAP I was inhaling at the time……but this time I was like, “Holy hell, this is like pure acid!”

So I've come to the conclusion that I will no longer be drinking soda on a daily basis.  I guess I can’t say that I’m banning it entirely.  I mean, if I want to have a Cherry Coke Zero every now and then, then I’ll have one.  But I am perfectly happy to quench my thirst with good old, plain HEALTHY water.

Cheers and cold beers water!

No comments: