Monday, May 3, 2010

Drew's Sleeping Issues

Or should I title this: "Mommy and Daddy's sleeping issues." As of late, Drew hasn't been sleeping very well. Which means Mommy & Daddy haven't been sleeping well either. And I think there's a couple of factors that are causing this.

#1) He's teething. Has been for a few months now. With Emma, we were so lucky b/c her teeth came in relatively fast. It was like, BAM--there's a tooth. No time for her to feel any pain or discomfort. But with poor Drewbie, his teeth take forever to break through the gums. I can see the indent of his teeth in his gums, so I know they're on their way. But it just takes them forever to finally break through.

#2) (I think) He has allergies. About a month ago, he had a runny nose and cough for weeks, so we finally took him to see the doctor. I had suspicions that he has seasonal allergies, b/c I had them as a kid/young adult. Well the doctor had suggested we give him children Zyrtec daily. So we did and his "cold" cleared up almost immediately. So I'm pretty confident I've passed along my wonderful allergy to pollen, dust, mold, & mildew. Poor thing!

#3) He just doesn't require lots of sleep. And if this is true---well, we must medicate him ASAP. Put him on some tranquilizers or something--anything to get the kid to sleep at least 9 hours through the night! (just kidding!) I mean, Andy & I are exhausted...only getting 6 hours of sleep 7 days/week is not fun. I almost feel like I have an infant again! Plus, let's not forget that Mommy & Daddy need some alone time, too. Makes it kinda hard when the kid goes down at the same time.

So we'll see. He has his 12-month check-up soon. I'll see if Dr. Moore has any insight or recommendations.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Six hours of sleep is plenty for kids as young as you. It is only when you reach the AARP years that eight or more hours are required. Besides, with all that Swickheimer you could hire a nighttime nanny to watch Drew!!! Also, you need to change your blog picture to include Drew. Love ya, Dad