Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Conversation With Emma

Part 2, in the series.
The Set-Up: In my car, coming home from the gym last night. My workout got interrupted by Drew because he wouldn't stop crying. I don't like taking the kids to the gym's daycare with me on weeknights. Not because I don't like the daycare there....it's quite the opposite, actually. The ladies who work there are great, and they love seeing Emma and Drew come through the doors. It's just that I don't like taking them from one daycare to the next. But my workouts are very important to me and my favorite instructor teaches on Wednesday nights. And Andy had a work function that he had to attend last night.....

Me: Did you try to console Drewbie while he was crying, Emma?
Emma: Ummmm, I don't know. But I tried making him laugh. *she didn't know what the word 'console' meant....she pondered it for a second, but then realized she didn't have the effort to ask me what the word meant.*
Me: Oh, that's nice. See, you're such a good big sister.
Emma: I know.
*5 second pause*
Emma: And I'm pretty too.
Me: Yes, yes you are.
Emma: But he's not pretty yet, so he wouldn't stop crying.
*I kinda chuckle here. I know what she's meaning to say. She's inter-mixing her thoughts. Once Drewbie gets bigger and "stronger," he'll be able to control his emotions better. I'm trying to teach Emma that tantrums and crying make her look like a little baby. And one time she caught me saying that someone was ugly....but I was using it in the context of that person's actions. However, trying to explain this to a 4-year old is tricky. How does one try to explain that someone who acts horrible, can make them ugly?...when the only thing that a 4-year can correlate ugliness to is beauty?*

1 comment:

The McClains said...

That's cute! She is a smart little girl. :)