Monday, March 15, 2010

Emma's First Sleepover


Emma had her first sleepover at Papa and Grandma Ann's this weekend. Truth be told, I was kinda nervous that she wouldn't make it. She's only slept over at a different person's house one other time. And she was an infant then. And it was at grandma's house. She loves her grandma. Sees her at least twice/week. So she's extremely comfortable there. Well, we tried a "sleepover" at her house about a month ago. Didn't happen. We got a phone call around 9:00, saying that Emma wanted to sleep in her own bed.

So I was hesitant to have her stay at my dad's. But I figure she's 3 freaking years old--plenty old enough to stay the night at her grandpa's house. That's what being a kid is all about...staying over at your grandparent's house while they spoil the stink out of you. I want her to have that experience. I have some good memories of staying at both of my grandparent's houses, and I want both her and Drew to experience that was well. To prep her for the sleepover, I told her a few days before. I told her that we were going to pack her Princess suitcase and drive to Papa's house so that she could have a sleepover. She seemed really excited about it, but truthfully she was really excited about her first attempt at my mom's. So I still didn't know if she fully got it. Well, on our way up to his house, she started asking questions. "Is Papa going to make me a bed?" "Will I brush my teeth in his sink?" So I know she was running through her night time routine in her head. Which was a good sign. She had totally processed the idea that she was sleeping at Papa's and not at home.

And it turned out to be a success! My dad said that she was really good. They had no problems getting her to go to bed. In fact, she didn't even want to read any books. She was probably tuckered out from all the constant attention that she got for 6 straight hours, that she just wanted to go to bed! I'm so happy everything went well. I can't wait for the summer, when she can stay overnight with Papa and Grandma Ann again!

No comments: