Friday, March 12, 2010

Pilates is for the Birds


So I'm trying to incorporate some cross-training into my mini-marathon training. I do spinning on a regular basis, but I'm taking a small break from it to incorporate some sort of strength training, yoga, or pilates class into the mix. This week, I did a pilates class. I thought I had done pilates before, but I think I was sadly mistaken. For the first 20 minutes of the class, I'm thinking, "Is this it? Is this really all you do?" I felt like we were just lifting and twisting our bodies in the slightest, weirdest positions and I didn't really "get it." All I knew and felt was that it was just extremely uncomfortable. I mean, some of these positions you put your body in are just not normal. And half the time I kept praying, "Please don't let me fart, please don't let me fart." Basically (I felt like) the entire class was spent on spent on squeezing by butt cheeks together so as to not let any squeaks come out or trying to balance my wide load on a balance ball.

Or so I thought.

Cut to 36 hours later. Oh. My. Gosh. I couldn't cough without hurting, I couldn't get up out of the bed without some maayja help; basically I couldn't use my center, core muscles without it hurting. The rest of my body--legs and arms--were sore, but not painfully sore. I could definitely feel that I had worked some leg & arm muscles I don't normally work, but it didn't feel anything like my stomach muscles.

So I haven't decided if I'm going to go back yet or not. During the actual class, I did not enjoy it much. But I am enjoying the after effects. Having a strong core is key to your overall health and being. So we'll see. I'll have to make up my mind come Monday morning, when I make up my schedule for the week!

1 comment:

shiloh said...

this is really funny:) I love that you're blogging again!