Thursday, March 11, 2010

Preschool Enrollment


I enrolled Emma in preschool today. Such an exciting time! I even got all giddy when I walked through the front doors. Emma's going to absolutely LOVE going to school there. In fact, she talks about school all the time. "Mommy when I get bigger, I get to go to school and wear a Spiderman bagpack!" (Funny story: while taking the tour of their facility, all the kids keep their bagpacks outside their rooms on the little coat and bag hooks. She saw a (big) Spiderman one that stood out from all the others. So now she equates school with a Spiderman bagpack.)

Because she turns 4 in October, she just misses the cut-off for Pre-K by two months. If you haven't met Emma, then I'm sure you've heard me say that she's well ahead of her age group. (If you have met, then you know.) So I'm kinda bummed that she won't be able to start Pre-K now, but I know that'll benefit her in later on in her schooling. Plus, being older has it's advantages. 1) She'll have a year up on other kids, athletic-wise. Fingers crossed, she'll be an athlete. Let's hope, at least. I mean, hell--she's a 47-lb 3-year old!!! 2) She'll be the first in her class to drive (ahhh--Emma driving. Crazy.), 3) she'll be the first in her class to drink (double-ahhhh--Emma drinking. Even crazier.) So she'll be placed in a room with other "older 3-yr olds." There's still academia that's followed. Although in small doses, but still.

The one big bummer to this situation, though, is that Drew will still be staying with Nancy. Not that there's anything wrong with Nancy (our caretaker who watches children out of her home). It's just that they'll be separated for a year or so. And I really don't like that. I'm wondering if that will impact either kid. It's hard to say right now, because I don't see the kind of interaction they have together, when there's other kids around. I don't know if Emma takes on the protective big sister role, thus making me think that she'll be upset that Drew's not in the same place as her during the day. So we'll see. Only time will tell. But in the meantime...I'm super-excited to have Emma start Preschool in August!

No comments: