Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July

We had a fantastic Fourth of July weekend! As usual, we were busy, busy, busy with trips to the pool, Papa's cottage house, bike races, craft projects, baking, and of course shopping. And it was especially nice for me because I had a 4 day weekend! (Actually, it's been pretty sweet these past couple of weeks. Vacation was 2 weeks ago, come back to work for 4 days, get 4 days off, then I only have to work 4 days this week.)

On Saturday we went to my dad's river cottage in northern Indiana where our big highlight was tubing down the Tippy. He has a huge (6 or 8 person) raft/intertube that Andy, Emma, and I floated in down the river. Aside from it being a little uncomfortable (it was almost too big for the 3 of us), we had a good time. Emma really enjoyed it. We had her hang on to a rope that was attached to the tube, so she just floated/swam behind it for a while. She did get freaked out a little, though, the few times her feet touched the bottom. The mushy feel of the sand/mud made her a little uneasy. Can't say I blame the girl.

On Sunday, Andy went down to Seymour IN at the Muscatatuck Park to participate in his first mountain bike race while I did a 50-miler with Kelly. I have absolutely NO interest in off roading/mountain biking, but Andy really enjoyed it. He said it was so intense and he can't wait to do some more. And my ride was great; Kelly and I were actually pretty sore by the end of it because we did a hillier ride than normal. But, man I love riding!

On the Fourth we went to pool, where I had to pry my kids from the pool. Both are such water babies, where there swimming skills have just improved dramatically. Emma has always been a swimmer, but this year she's able to jump off the diving board and go down water slides by herself (in deep water). While she can't yet do the true freestyle stroke, she's able to keep herself afloat and do a doggy paddle/freestyle combo. And Drew's fully submerging himself under water now. It's so cute, actually. He'll go, "Ready. Set. Go," then dunk his head underwater, then come up saying "I went under." He's so stinkin' cute!!! In the evening, we went to Matt's house for our annual cookout and firework watching. As usual, the food was delicious. I made a few deserts that I was pretty proud of, including a homemade apple pie that I made all by myself. I've never made a pie before, and it turned out really good! I can't wait to make more!
 
 
Always good to see J.D.'s smiling face!

I gave Emma (and myself) festive Stars & Stripes pedis! 

Here's Emma modeling her pedicure with the balloon flip-flops I made. 

Revolutionary Strawberries I made (while chocolate w/ blue sprinkles). Huge hit with the kids! 

Flag Cookie Cake I made 

Andy the Grill Master. 

Here's our little spread. Such yummy food! 

My madre and me. 

Having fun with the sparklers!

Emma was "too busy" to join us in our family picture. 


1 comment:

The McClains said...

You guys are such a cute and active family! I love all your 4th food .. . so clever!